The third Welland Canal took a more direct path from Port Dalhousie to Allanburg leaving behind the Twelve Mile Creek route. From Allanburg the canal continued to follow the previous path with the exception of bypassing many of the canal downtown community centers. Construction on the canal was completed in 1887. The third canal no longer depended on the feeder canal for its source of water. Instead water was directly supplied from Lake Erie via the canal itself. The canal was now 4.3 meters deep and its 26 stone locks had swelled to a dimension of 13.7 meters in width with a distance of 82.3 meters between lock gates.